By Bill Bostic, Gazette sports reporter
Game Info: Away game at Susquehanna Township High School on Elmerton Avenue — Friday, 8/25/17 at 7 pm
Keys to a CD victory … CLICK HERE to view video.
Stage Setter: Tonight’s opening game of the 2017 season pits two teams in transition due to significant graduation losses. All the new personnel on both sides makes this week #0, non-conference matchup a bit of a wild card. The Rams are coming into the game with only one scrimmage under their belts instead of the normal two,
Many players for the Rams will be seeing their first varsity action because the team graduated 30 seniors last year and 21 starters will not be back, according Rams head coach Glen McNamee.
Offensively the team will be led by senior quarterback Brady Straub (#7) and place kicker Ethan Van Buskirk (#20), who was named by PennLive to the Preseaon All-Mid-Penn Conference football team.
Coach McNamee identified Susquehanna Township wide receiver Brian Garner (#4) as a player who the Rams need to keep close tabs on. The Indians also are expected to have some dangerous players fielding punts and kickoffs.
The game is available on radio from WMSS – 91.1FM. Eric Thomas will be doing the play-by-play announcing duties. CLICK HERE to listen live.
Analysis: It looks like the Rams could have an edge over the Indians on paper (see “Tidbits” below), but this game is hard to handicap with so many new starters on both squads. My gut tells me CD will prevail by at least two touchdowns.
* 2016 records — CD 10-2; Susquehanna Twp 10-4
* National/State rankings (MaxPreps) — CD 1004/32; Susquehanna Twp 3917/166
* Last year the Rams upended the Indians by count of 31-9 at Landis Field.
* The Rams have a record of 76 wins-17 losses since Speed Ebersole Weight Room opened in 2010.
* The last time the Rams lost a season opener was 2007.
* CLICK HERE to view an overview of the Rams football team.